Friday, August 15, 2014

5 More Things I Learned as a New Mom

As the saying goes, you learn something new everyday. This is especially true when you're a new mom. So, here are five more things I've learned as a new mom.

Number 5 - You Never Get Tired of That Smile

No matter how sleepy you are, you never get tired of your babies smile. You could be ready to rip your eyes out from exhaustion, but when that baby smiles, so do you. And, surprisingly, it will make you feel better, sometimes.



Number 4 - Sizes Don't Matter

Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about clothes! The sizes listed on those labels don't mean a thing. Your baby can simultaneously fit in a 3 month onesie and a 9 month onesie, when they're 6 months old. A size 3M in Garanimals is comparable to a 6M in Carter's. Why all baby clothing makers can't stick to the same size charts is beyond me, but this means you can't box up all your baby's 3M clothes just because they're now in mostly 6M. And don't even get me started on 0-3M, 6-9M, they've got all sorts, it's ridiculous. The only real way to gauge is to either stick it on the baby, or compare it to something you know fits well. The other really irritating thing is the ones that say 24M, etc. The baby isn't 24 months, it's 2 for Christ's sake. And what the hell is the difference between 24M and 2T, anyway?

Number 3 - Something that Fit Yesterday Doesn't Fit Today
The picture on the right was taken two days after the picture on the left.

This can be upsetting. You've got an outfit that looks so cute and fits perfectly, and then one day you put it on and it's pulling too tightly in one place or another. Babies grow so quickly that something they were just wearing no longer fits. Then you go through the cycle of looking through all of the other clothes to see what fits and what doesn't.








Number 2 - Laundry, Laundry, Laundry

I change my daughter's outfit approximately 5 times a day. I change my own clothes (due to vomit) probably at least 3 times a day. Then there's towels for bath time, the normal day to day laundry, and whatever else she's pooped, peed, puked, or drooled on in the meantime. That all adds up to about 2 loads of laundry a day, if I don't pack the washer full. If I spend say 30 minutes a day doing laundry, that's what, 3 1/2 hours a week? Wasted. On laundry.




Number 1 - You Can Never Have Enough Wipes/Diapers

If your diaper and wipe arsenal isn't fully stocked, you could be in trouble. There have been a few times that I've thought I had diapers or wipes and reached for empty air. I'll admit, Dahlia has worn one of those little swimmer diapers while I ran up to the store to get proper ones. You really can't ever have enough of either. If you're at the store and you think you need them, you do. Get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment