Monday, September 15, 2014

Motherly Instinct


Motherly instinct is a crazy thing. It's something that you don't truly understand until you've experienced it, and it can be hard to explain. All animals have it, hence the expression, "never get between a mama bear and her cubs." Whenever your child is in the slightest amount of danger, you get this hot, sick, tight ball in the pit of your stomach. Once, when she slipped a little bit in Ben's hands, I almost vomited, I had to sit down. And if anything threatens her, I'll lose it. I have literally punched my cat in the head for hissing at her (he's okay, of course). You don't think clearly, you just react. My mom said that now that I'm older, the instinct isn't as strong for her. But, since Dahlia is only six months, it's still very strong. I think I would probably rip someone's face off for her. It can be a scary feeling and a sick feeling, but completely natural. What are your experiences with the motherly instinct? Men, have you experienced anything similar? Leave your responses in the comments below!


3 comments:

  1. When my kid was about 6 months old I punched a baptist preacher in the mouth for telling me my daughter was a sinner as evidenced by crying when there was nothing wrong; she just wanted attention.

    I did all manner of sort of nutball things to watch over her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had to go back to work after having Camille, I left her with a babysitter whom I have known for a few years. I offended her one day by asking for her not to let Camille sit so close to the television and she WOULDN"T answer the phone when I called her repeated (she was babysitting at the time) I had to leave work to go and pick her up I was literally shaking! The woman was so lucky she was 6 months pregnant bc I was PISSED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Uncle Buffalo: That's awesome! No 6 month old is a sinner!
    @Cody: Oh man, I would have been livid! Good self control! :)

    ReplyDelete